2010年9月21日火曜日

The Queen's English

I really empathize with this article, so I chose it.

This article is written about difference of English. Author was born and lives in New Zealand,so she is native speaker. However when she went to the bank in England, her voice didn't make out in voice recognition system. Even if people speak in English, difference countries has difference meaning or accent. For example "soccer" is called "football" in England.


When I was in England, I was teased about my accent at first.
Because my accent was really American!!!
When I went to restaurant, my English didn't get through and I have said my order over again and again.

I found good sentence.
"You need to learn how to laugh at yourself,becase embarrassment is all part of the learning process."

Actually after my studying abroad, my accent almost changed into British one.
I was really happy, when I got across with my english at the restaurant.


If you are interested in this article, please click here.
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/shukan-st/english_news/essay/2010/ey20100702/ey20100702main.htm?print=noframe

entire(全体の=whole):It was the worst day in my entire life.



visualize(思い浮かべる):I can visualize scenes from the movie while listening to the music.



foppishness(気取っている)=a man who is interested in his clothes and appearance



muddled(まぜこぜの):The situation today is very muddled.



assume(思い込む):I assumed you haven't came to this party.



elicits(引き出す):She tries to elicit memories of his past.



inadvertently(うっかり):Viruses can be spread inadvertently by email users.

2 件のコメント:

  1. Good. I enjoyed reading your comments about language.

    One of the words that you studied was "foppishness." I looked this up in Longman. It said that a "fop" is "a man who is very interested in his clothes and appearance" and that the word is "used to show disapproval." It also said that this expression is old-fashioned. Actually, I don't think I have heard this expression very often in the U.S. I'm not sure if that is because it is old-fashioned or because it is used less in the U.S. than in Great Britain. Perhaps both are true.

    By the way, I think you should use the Longman dictionary. There is a link to in on my blog.

    返信削除
  2. Sorry! I just looked again at your blog and realized that you did indeed use the Longman dictionary. Good for you!

    返信削除